Saturday, April 19, 2014

7 things I will never understand

Today has been a tough day for me. Some days the depression I've been fighting off since September creeps back up on me. So I give myself a day to just sleep and let my mind over think every little thing. Tomorrow I will wake up and it will be a new day with a new outlook. But for now I need some time to be a little sad. When this happens, I spend a lot of time trying to get a grasp on situations in my life that I just do not understand. And although there are some things that not even a blog can answer for me, I was struck with inspiration to share some things I'm sure none of us understand.

Homeschooling
This is directed towards kids who never have any socialization with any other kids who aren't home schooled. I understand the flaws in our education system. But why would you set your child up for a life where they are unable to follow social cues and work with a group of adults? School is more than writing and math. We learn so many things that are necessary for life. Conflict resolution, over coming fear and social anxiety, as well as making friends and working with others. When I worked at a pottery studio we had a home school day where a group from a homeschooling program came in to paint at a discount. I think out of the 40 kids that came, 3 of them said please and thank you and made eye contact with me. The parents weren't much better to be completely fair.

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who were home schooled and are fully functioning members of society. I have yet to meet one.

Tattling
This is something I expect of my 8 year old campers. When it is completely rational to come to an adult when they don't know how to fix a situation. I'm assuming the majority of people reading this are adults. So why are some of the people I know running around saying things like "did you see what Jen wrote on Facebook?". Who cares!! Don't feel the need to share what I say on Facebook. I know I'm really funny and witty and post cute pictures, but if that person isn't my friend then it obviously is not meant for them. And as karma works its way around, I will find out who you are. And you will be withheld from seeing any other hilarious status updates I share. Just stop it and save us all the frustration of that.

Over sharing your child's life
I don't care that you bought Tommy a training potty in his favorite color. I don't care that Sandy watched Blues Clues for 2 hours and then took a nap. It does not matter to me that Billy got new shoes and then peed his pants. Just like I didn't feel the need to share my pictures of my kidney stone ultra sound, some things are just better left to ourselves. I'm assuming some milestones are really exciting and we don't have family members there to witness it, but a daily update on your child's eating habits is really annoying. If you love writing about yourself and your life then maybe you should start a blog!

Posting a ton of pictures at once
This is fine on Facebook, because they're all clumped together and I don't have to look at them unless I want to. I can just scroll past them and see them later on. I do not understand why people post 10+ pictures on instagram at once. Your valencia filter doesn't make you look any different than your mayfair filter you used on the last picture you posted. And I have no choice but to look at every single one as I go through my timeline. Yes, I could easily unfollow these types of people. But I don't want to! They're obviously friends and want to see how you're doing. Just with a few pictures at a time.

The obsession with NYC
Every person needs to see and experience the feeling of walking to a party in Manhattan at night. But I really don't see what the big apple has to offer that Los Angeles doesn't. Rush hour, all kinds of public transportation, over crowding, tacky tourist traps, unique food only available in our regions. We both have it. Don't get me wrong, I love New York City and am excited to be back in June. I can honestly say the only real difference is during the summers in LA I don't smell steaming garbage on the streets. And don't even get me started on LA winters. I would take an earthquake over a hurricane any day.

I will admit that New York has better sports teams. Clearly we are nothing without Kobe.

Onions
Why are these even a real thing? They are vile and gross and I do not like them at all!! I have been conditioned to respond this way (thanks mom!) but they are honestly the one thing I will never ever eat. I can pick tomatoes and olives off my food, I can't deal with onions. I apologize in advance for giving you the stank face if I'm in your presence while you consume them. But I will never understand why you do it.

The drinking age in America
Now I'm not here to promote 16 year olds drinking and making stupid choices. But being in Europe and to be able to have a beer with my dad and it not be a huge deal was so refreshing. But America does not like change. So we will continue to measure things in feet and miles and have one of the highest drinking ages in the world. I just personally believe if I'm able to vote for who my president will be, or go to war, then I should be able to take a few shots with my friends on a Saturday night!

There are so many questions I have unanswered. Maybe that's what gets me in trouble, always questioning things. Maybe one day I'll find the answers to settle these crazy thoughts of mine. But until then, I will be full of future blog material for those days when I just don't understand why...

Much love,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment