Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The camp blog


Are any of you surprised? We all knew this one was coming at some point or another.

I had my first camp experience in the 6th grade. I got to go to "science" camp with my class. But being the California babe that I am, this was no ordinary camp. Hidden in the hills of Malibu sits a beautiful Jewish summer camp. This camp is used by Los Angeles County Outdoor Science School during the school year to give kids a learning experience outside the classroom. Lessons were either on the beach, near the creek, or up the huge Ice Cream Mountain!!

I was just happy to be away from my parents for 5 days and playing on the beach with my friends. Although it was technically school, we did have a lot of summer camp similarities. My cabin leader would braid my hair, we ate in the dinning hall, and at the end of the week we had a camp dance where I chased the boys around under the limbo stick (sorry, not sorry). The 5 days went by fast and I was back home at the end of the week.

I discovered my summer camp on my own. I met a girl at a relatives party and she actually went to the Jewish summer camp my science camp was held at. She loved it and I knew I wanted to go. Google changed my life that weekend. I discovered an even more fun camp than the one she went to. Pali Overnight Adventures, a place more magical than Disneyland. And at $1500 a week, it damn well  should be. My dad went to summer camp as a kid and was on board right away. Mom soon joined the bandwagon and I was on my way to Pali.

My two summers at Pali were something I will never forget. I made friends I still keep in touch with today, I got my first taste of the British accent, and got to do things I could never do at home. Water balloon fights, mud wrestling, waking up at midnight to see the dining hall turned into Willy Wonkas Chocolate Factory. I learned so many things at camp. Especially how to make friends and not care what anyone thinks. I tried things like water ski and zip lining. I even was part of the broadcast journalism team and we put together a news program for the camp every night. Thank god those videos are hidden somewhere deep in the internet.

I told myself I would come back as a counselor one day. But one day was just too far.

I went back to science camp for 2 years in a row as a cabin leader. It was a free trip to Malibu for a week and I got away from boring high school, and I had a ton of fun bringing my friends along for the journey.

Winter break during my freshman year of college, I was going absolutely insane being home. There was no way in hell I was going to do that for 3 months during the summer. I remembered that I was finally old enough to be a camp counselor at a real summer camp. I applied to be a counselor at Pali and a few other camps in the LA area.

Then it hit me. I would be 19 that summer, why do I want to be stuck near home when I could take the chance to travel somewhere I had never been. I spent about 5 solid days perfecting applications and applying to camps all over the east coast.

I heard back from 3 and set up interviews. My first one being Lokanda. They offered me a travel allowance and a pretty great salary. I accepted it without taking any other interviews. And I am so glad I did.

I will never forget my flight to New Jersey. My first time flying alone. I was so nervous, I couldn't eat anything all day. The rest of that day seems like a blur. I just remember getting to camp and it not feeling real. Finally seeing the friends I had talked to on Facebook for months and being back in the camp wild I loved so much as a kid. I do remember embarrassing myself singing my signature wagon song at the campfire that night. Wonder if I'll be that awkward again this summer.

Those 7 weeks went by so fast. And some days were much harder than others. Waking up at 7 am every single day and being a mommy for 7 kids is tough! But when the summer ends, the good outweighs the bad 10 times more. I became so close with my baby frosh. Closer than I ever could of imagined. I miss them more and more everyday. Thank god those kids have cell phones, I don't know what I would of done going through the winter not being able to talk to them.

The bond I made with not just my kids, but my other counselors, is something hard to explain. But I will try. Arleny, Steph, Julia, Hannah, Taylor, Ash, Mary-Lou, you ladies mean so much to me. Even though we're separated by countries and time zones, you are all so so so special to me. Most people have stories from the people they lived in their dorms with, I have stories from the bunks. Flashing each other, staying up late sneaking hot cheetos and laughing until we cry about the stupid stuff our kids said that day. Last summer was NOT easy. Crying from exhaustion or boys, I was never in it alone. I don't have many girlfriends a home. Maybe that's why camp is such a priority in my life. I'm finally given the chance to be able to surround myself with friends all the time. Thank you girls for being such a huge part of my camp experience and being the people I will call friends forever.

There were so many other people outside the frosh bunks who have made such an impact in my life. It would take forever, but you people know who you are. How lucky am I to know that no matter what time it is, there is always at least one friend I have in this world who is awake. A wise man who works at camp said something that stuck with me since the day he said it. A day is a week, a week is a month, a month is a year. Camp is 2 months long, but it feels like 2 years. That's why we all become so close with each other. When those days came where I wanted to quit, and didn't think I'd be able to make it through the summer, I realized how many amazing friends I was surrounded by and I knew I could get through it.

No where else in this world is it acceptable for me to roll out of bed and be ready for the day. I am 100% me at camp. No make up, no straightened hair, no fancy clothes. Just me and my kids. Learning to play tennis and eating our otter pops on the way to lake swim. Camp is Neverland for me. Where I'm allowed to expose my peter pan syndrome (although I'm more comparable to tinkerbell) and just be a kid. Growing up is not acceptable at camp. I will continue to hold on to that as long as I can.

I'm a strong believer that everything happens for a reason. After unfortunate events after camp, I tried to run away from some things. I figured going to Pali as a counselor would be much easier for me. This year I was offered an interview. But I declined because I thought my problem holding me back from going to Lokanda was long gone. Turns out, it's not. But that's okay. This summer will be challenging, but it will absolutely be worth it. Some of my closest friends from last summer are coming back. And I'm bringing my best friend from home to experience this journey with me. I've already made some great friends who I know will absolutely enjoy Skinners Falls with me this summer. It would be immature of me to let something so minuscule hold me back from having such a great experience. So I won't let that happen!

So to all my friends I made last summer, thank you for adding so many memories to the ones I had as a kid. There are days where the camp sick hits hard and I wish I could have all of you in sunny So Cal with me.  You guys know there is always a place here for you!

And if any newbies are reading this, brace yourself for the best experience you can ask for. There will be tough days. You will be exhausted and some mornings wonder why you signed up for this. Please know how important you are to these kids. Because at one point, I was one of them. You are now part of the memories these kids will never forget. Take every advantage that comes your way, wear crazy outfits and dance in the dining hall. Because before you know it, we all have to say goodbye.

Camp is such an important part of my life. I hope one day I am able to give the same experience to my own kids. But for now, I'll keep going back until they won't let me anymore. Camp makes life just a little bit easier. I wish everyone could experience just how much fun it is.

Much love,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment